Margaret Clitherow was the young wife of a butcher. In 1556 she was alleged to have hidden Jesuit priests in her house, No. 35 The Shambles. The authorities decided that she should be put to death, and, on the 17th March, 1586, Margaret was forced to lie on the floor of the prison with a stone under the small of her back. A door was place across her chest and eight hundredweight of stones piles upon it until she was crushed to death. The night before she died, Margaret sent her hat to her husband as a sign of her loving duty to him. In 1970 Margaret Clitherow was canonised as Saint Margaret of York. Her house in The Shambles is now a chapel to her memory, and an altar service is held there every Saturday.
St Margaret Clitherow was built on an old power station. Neasden Power Station was built to provide electrical power for the Metropolitan Railway.
The power station begun operation in late 1904, this photograph was taken soon afterwards. It was part the Metropolitan Railway complex in Neasden in what was known as Neasden Village. This included a railway depot, workshops, engine sheds, labourers' cottages and a village estate of two-storey brick terraced houses built in 1882-83 and 1904-5. This 10,500 kilowatt power station powered the Metropolitan line and the village.
The village was to the west of Neasden and called 'the loneliest village in London'. Its streets were called after stations on the Metropolitan Railway in Buckinghamshire. The power station polluted the air so much that letters were written to 'The Times'. It was shut in 1968 and subsequently demolished.